WHEN: 10:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. on Wednesday, December 9th, 2020
General Admission: $129
ANP Subscribers – General Admission: $99 ($30 discount using promo code “ANP2020” entered upon checkout)
AAGLA Members: $79 (login to member account required)
Fair Housing Update: Know YOUR Rights and Avoid Costly Mistakes in Today’s Political Climate
Featuring Property Management Expert, Angel Rogers
As housing providers, we must always ensure that our buildings and apartment communities are open and welcoming to people of all types. As housing providers, we are intertwined with and are committed to the principles set forth in the Fair Housing Act, which is based on the concept that all people should be treated equally. Join us online for a LIVE for this important webinar and Q&A session with Property Management Training and Education Expert, Angel Rogers, Founder of STAR Training for this Fair Housing Update and learn how the current political climate may have altered fair housing rules and how YOU can avoid making potentially costly mistakes.
PLEASE, join us for what will most certainly be an informative 2-hour online seminar via ZOOM. Join us for a live discussion of the latest Fair Housing Regulations and how to avoid mistakes that can get you into trouble and become very costly. During the webinar, we will also cover the following:
- How to avoid falling into a “trap.” What testers do and what they look for. Be aware – they will call you when you least expect it.
- The basics of three Federal Fair Housing laws (Fair Housing Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act)
- California’s fair housing regulations and how they are stronger than Federal Fair Housing regulations.
- The seven protected classes, what discrimination is and ways to avoid discriminating
- Enforcement mechanisms and remedies, who can file a lawsuit, who can be sued, what damages may be awarded, and statute of limitations
- Best practices for interacting with potential tenants to ensure fair housing laws are followed
- Accessibility requirements, Reasonable Accommodation and Reasonable Modification.
- The Pets versus Assistance Animals debate.
- What constitutes harassment in housing and how to avoid making simple mistakes.
- And, so much more. YOUR questions will help lead the discussion.
This will be a live, interactive, online learning session. Live Q&A will take place throughout the online seminar.
GUEST SPEAKER: Angel Rogers, Property Management Training and Education Expert, STAR Training
Angel Rogers has held many positions in the industry with an emphasis on education and training. Angel brings her solid reputation as a fun, motivational, and “from the heart” instructor to her training and consulting business, Specialized Training by Angel Rogers (STAR Training). She is also a featured speaker for the National Apartment Association.
Angel has been in property management for as long as she can remember. She was screening applications and cleaning her parent’s rentals for years before she thought this would be her career. She worked her way up from “Rental Hostess” to Regional Manager in less than 6 years and has never looked back! Angel brought her extensive experience to National CORE in 1996 as a Property Manager and then Training and Education Manager where she developed training programs with an emphasis on fair housing, operations, customer care, and affordability compliance. In 2009 she launched her own training and consulting company, STAR(Specialized Training by Angel Rogers), where she continued to lead the training efforts at National CORE, as well as teaching for numerous Apartment Associations, private clients throughout the country, and classes at Chaffey College. Angel was invited to return to National CORE in 2020 as their Chief Learning Officer.